Saturday, December 22, 2012

I have the blade rough ground out! So far I really like it. I don't know to much about balance and all that yet bet it sets in my hand real good.

As you can see the handle is straight out instead of curved downward a little like in the sketch.
This I will do with the forge. I'm not sure if I want to forge the bevels yet, if I do it will increase the width of the blade and that would be nice cause I had to shrink the sketch to fit it on the steel bar. 



I will say, this was way to easy! I knocked it out in around 15 minutes with an angle grinder.

Takes hours to forge a blade from scratch!

I do prefer to forge from scratch though, I feel right about it. Anyone can cut a shape out of a bar of metal  It takes skill, time and determination to forge a blade from scratch.

Not saying I have the skill though, last 3 blades I tried to forge failed pretty bad.

But that's part of the experience! Each one gets a little better and iv'e always learned best the hard way.

1 comment: